❮Reading❯ ➿ Portraits Without Frames Author Lev Ozerov – Royalweddingnews.co.uk

Portraits Without Frames files Portraits Without Frames , read online Portraits Without Frames , free Portraits Without Frames , free Portraits Without Frames , Portraits Without Frames f6714a611 Isaac Babel, Dmitry Shostakovich, And Anna Akhmatova Star In This Series Of Portraits Of Some Of The Greatest Writers, Artists, And Composers Of The Twentieth Century We Stopped And Shklovsky Told Me Quietly, But Clearly, Remember, We Are On Our Way Out On Our Way Out And I Recalled The Wall Of Books, All Written By A Man Who Lived In Times That Were Hard To Bear Lev Ozerov S Finest Book, Portraits Without Frames Comprises Fifty Intimate, Skillfully Crafted Accounts Of Meetings With Important Figures, Ranging From Fellow Poets Anna Akhmatova And Boris Pasternak, To Prose Writers Isaac Babel And Andrey Platonov, To Artists And Composers Vladimir Tatlin And Dmitry Shostakovich It Is Both A Testament To An Extraordinary Life And A Perceptive Mini Encyclopedia Of Soviet Culture Composed In Delicate, Rhythmic Free Verse, Ozerov S Portraits Are Like Nothing Else In Russian Poetry

10 thoughts on “Portraits Without Frames

It s appropriate I finished this book today, the day on which Anna Akhmatova died in 1966 She s one of the subjects of Ozerov s Portraits Without Frames I recognized only a handful of his subjects I suspect few other than the giants like Isaac Babel or Boris Pasternak or Sergey Prokofiev or Dmitry Shostakovich would be recognized by the general reader of the west But all are made interesting in these poetic portraits To me, because they lack lyricism they re poetry in form only, but they re all interesting and loving, making this an appealing overview of Soviet culture in the past century The overview could easily be the starting point for further inquiry What the reader recognizes early on and throughout these 50 portraits is that these are artists bound to their art but also needing to live, willingly or reluctantly, with the politics of the state.

I would have enjoyed this if I was familiar with the artists that Ozerov was describing But it does make me interested in Russian literature and history.

December 2018 NYRB Book Club SelectionWould have probably enjoyed this , both aesthetically and historically, if I had a grasp on the Russian literary artistic scene of the 20th century As it is, I don t, so I can only appreciate it on its poetic merits which are, at least in this translation, not really what I m looking for A weighty project to be sure, but not one I d plan to revisit without a wealth of background knowledge.

He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living hand to mouth Goethe Goethe is correct in relating the importance of living in anothers life through even brief glimpses found in these painted word portraits These portraits of the lives of Soviet writers, composers and artists that managed to create despite difficult circumstances was inspiring They found ways to give voice even though in some cases it meant persecution They live on by means of their work How profound this is to encourage creativity and life lived despite hardships I highly recommend this wonderful book published by NYRB.

Blue blue blue blue blue blue blue There are so many synonyms and shades of blue that it became maddening to see the word blue in almost every poem Interesting subject matter and brief history lesson A very good jumping off point for those who want to explore the world of 20th century Russia but didn t really know who to start with Also, free formpoetry It s just sentencesbrokeninto seemingly random chunksof text A point to itI do notsee.

My copy was 258 pages not 184.

Bad book for non Slavs, great book for slavs